Central Industrial Education Center Collection
Scope and Contents
The Central Industrial Education Center (CIEC) Collection consists of promotional materials for the North Carolina Industrial Education Center system and materials related to the curriculum and academic offerings of the CIEC in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- 1958 - 1964
The Industrial Education Center was established by the North Carolina State Board of Education in 1958 in order to provide post-secondary technical and industrial education. The goal was to create schools with flexible curriculums that changed based on surveys and studies of local industries. The schools would train students to have skills which would make them suitable candidates for the job opportunities available in the nearby communities. The Department of Public Education distributed detailed guides for the construction, staffing and curriculum that were to be made available at these centers. By 1962 there were twenty such Industrial Education Centers throughout North Carolina. These centers would ultimately be the foundation for the Community College System that was put into place in 1963.
The Central Industrial Education Center (CIEC) was established in Charlotte in 1959 order to meet the educational needs of adults in the community by providing technical and business training, pre-employment training, hobby and leisure classes, and opportunities to improve occupational skills. The CIEC was housed in the old Central High building on Elizabeth Avenue and was directed by Dr. Richard H. Hagemeyer, who also served as the assistant superintendent of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School System. The CIEC was merged with Mecklenburg College in 1963 to form Central Piedmont Community College.
0.42 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
An artificial collection of materials related to the North Carolina Industrial Education Centers and the Central Industrial Education Center in Charlotte, North Carolina.
The collection is arranged into two series: I. North Carolina Industrial Education Center System, 1958-1963 II. Central Industrial Education Center, 1960-1964
Various individuals donated these materials to R.V. Mason in the 1970s. Some items indicate the name and date of donation.
R.V. Mason organized these materials in the 1970s. Used subject matter as method of arrangement with little apparent consideration for original order, if any existed.
Initial inventory and preliminary processing by: Abby Rovner
Final processing and finding aid by: Katie Howell/February 2013
- Central Industrial Education Center Collection
- Katie Howell
- February 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note